Second grade focuses on math skills such as: place value, addition, subtraction, estimation, measurement, reading graphs, telling time, money, multiplication, division, fractions, and problem solving. Daily lessons may include, manipulatives, hands-on activities, math games, and pencil/paper practice. Monday through Thursday nights students will have homework in their Homelink workbook. We will have weekly math quizzes. Students will have homework Monday-Thursday.
Ways to Help your Child in Math
- Practice those addition and subtraction fact cards! This will create fast fact power which will help clear the way for higher thinking skills such as, problem solving and 2 digit addition and subtraction.
- Have your child help you cook or measure. This also helps with following directions.
- Talk about fractional parts of a pizza, cake, crackers, etc.
- Have your child count the change in your coin purse.
- Play cashier and shopper: pretend to buy things and have your child make change. Then switch roles!
- Ask them about the time and discuss elapsed time during activities. Ask your child time questions: what time is it? If we leave home at ________ and it takes 10 minutes to get to school, what time will we get there?
- Keep track of something using tally marks. Then make a graph and discuss the results.
- Ask questions to help with problem solving. Example: If I want to buy these two items, do I have enough? How much will I spend? How much will I get back?
- Look for geometric shapes everywhere!
- Check out our class website for fun math games!